18 July 2010

Four Year Old Boy Kidnapped And Murdered

Mineral Wells Index

MINERAL WELLS, TX — As of Sunday morning there was no new information concerning the search for suspected child kidnapper and killer Arturo Pacheco-Barrera.

The 23-year-old Mineral Wells man is believed to have abducted 4-year-old Salvador Briones Jr. from his home in the 700 block of S.W. 4th Avenue early Friday morning. The child's body was found between 10 p.m. and 11 p.m. Friday on the property of a vacant residence in the 3600 block of U.S. Highway 281 North.

The child's father, Salvador Briones, told police he had received a phone call after leaving for work Friday morning telling him his son had been abducted, with the caller demanding a $15,000 ransom for the child's safe return.

In an interview heard on KRLD-AM radio, Lt. Brad Belz admitted police had Pacheco-Barrera in custody. It was about four hours after the child's body was found that Pacheco-Barrera was able to flee officers while they were searching a residence in the 1800 block of S.E. 12th Street.

"We had him in custody but he was able to escape," Belz told the Dallas radio station.

A report on WFAA-TV says "investigators" reported Pacheco-Barrera had given himself up and led police to the boy's body then later escaped while police and SWAT team members were looking for evidence at the southeast Mineral Wells residence.

Police then issued a Code Red alert to residents in southeast Mineral Wells. A manhunt ensued through midday Saturday that included a police command post established in the parking lot of Church of God at Mineral Wells.

Police said Pacheco-Barrera should be considered extremely dangerous. Anyone with information about the suspect's whereabouts is asked to call 911.

Pacheco-Barrera is described as a Hispanic male standing 5 feet, 8 inches tall and weighing 190 pounds. He was last seen wearing a dark blue Polo-style shirt, blue jeans and brown leather boots.

Mineral Wells police have largely declined to answer questions or discuss the case with the Index. Police Chief Mike McAllester's only public comments so far came Friday afternoon when he said "we are investigating an alleged kidnapping." He said he could not comment further.

Law enforcement officials never issued an "Amber Alert" for the child Friday.

The case comes on the heels of what is now a nearly two-week search and investigation into the disappearance of Shonda Townsend, 19, of Gibtown, last seen leaving a Mineral Wells residence on U.S. Highway 180 West around midnight July 5. Her gray Toyota Camry was found about six hours later in the 800 block of S.E. 3rd Avenue. Activity on her cell phone ended about 2 a.m. that morning. There has been no trace of her since, and police appear to have few leads.

Robocop's Comment:

My prayers to this family who suffers. There will be a special place for this killer in hell. I would encourage all civic minded folk out there to smash this man on sight.

No comments: