08 August 2008

Douche Of The Week 08.08.08




The Winner: John Edwards

The Reason:

Attack John Edwards for his politics, that's fine. That's fair. Hell, attack him personally too. That happens in a presidential campaign too. But don't attack a family man like John Edwards and then pretend to be the party of family values. You can't have it both ways.
John Edwards knows more about family values than you could ever dream of...
Taken from and obscure Libtard Blog.

Update:

Two-time Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards, whose wife is ill with incurable cancer, admitted Friday he had had an extramarital affair but denied fathering the woman's baby.

Edwards, 54, apologized profusely for the affair, which he had repeatedly denied, and admitted that life on the campaign trail had made him "increasingly egocentric and narcissistic."

The former candidate insisted that his liaison with the woman, identified by the media as 42-year-old filmmaker Rielle Hunter, lasted a short period of time in 2006, before he launched his second bid for the Democratic nomination.

"In 2006, I made a serious error in judgment and conducted myself in a way that was disloyal to my family and to my core beliefs," Edwards said in a statement.

"I recognized my mistake and I told my wife that I had a liaison with another woman, and I asked for her forgiveness," he said.

Edwards, a former North Carolina senator, is an influential figure in the Democratic Party who had been seen as a potential running mate for presidential hopeful Barack Obama.

But his admission effectively ends any chance of him being named the vice presidential nominee for a second time. He ran as John Kerry's number two in 2004 after losing the Democratic nomination to him.

People close to Edwards said he would not participate in the Democratic convention taking place later this month in Denver, Colorado, to avoid embarrassing Obama.

Edwards is married to Elizabeth Edwards, a popular figure due to her courageous fight against incurable cancer. The couple have four children, including one who died in a car accident.

Edwards had repeatedly denied the affair in recent weeks amid rumors that he had fathered Hunter's baby girl, who was born in February. Their affair was first reported by a gossip tabloid in October.

A former Edwards campaign advisor claims to be the baby's father.

Edwards said he had not publicly admitted the affair because he was ashamed.

"I was and am ashamed of my conduct and choices, and I had hoped that it would never become public," he said.

"With my family, I took responsibility for my actions in 2006 and today I take full responsibility publicly. But that misconduct took place for a short period in 2006. It ended then."

He insisted that he was not the infant's father and said he was ready to take any tests to prove it. He also denied providing any payments to the child's mother or father.

"It is inadequate to say to the people who believed in me that I am sorry, as it is inadequate to say to the people who love me that I am sorry," he said.

"In the course of several campaigns, I started to believe that I was special and became increasingly egocentric and narcissistic.

"If you want to beat me up -- feel free. You cannot beat me up more than I have already beaten up myself. I have been stripped bare and will now work with everything I have to help my family and others who need my help."

In her own statement posted on the Daily Kos website, Elizabeth Edwards confirmed that her husband told her of the affair two years ago and said she had hoped it would remain private.

But due to "a recent string of hurtful and absurd lies in a tabloid publication ... our private matter could no longer be wholly private," she said.

"I am proud of the courage John showed by his honesty in the face of shame. The toll on our family of news helicopters over our house and reporters in our driveway is yet unknown.

"But now the truth is out, and the repair work that began in 2006 will continue."

As Edwards supporters digested the revelation, his 2008 presidential campaign manager David Bonior voiced anger.

"People put time and energy and money and their loyalty into this campaign and for Senator Edwards, and for him to have done this is completely disloyal to all of us," Bonior told NBC.



Robocop's Comment:

Be touted as a family man, practice what you preach. Perhaps he is taking after Bill Clinton?

No comments: